For Candidates

If you are interested in applying to the Multimedia Masters, you can find useful information and directions in the FAQ below.

Course information

What topics and specializations are focused?
  • Arts and Culture: Provides skills to understand the articulations of contemporary media, information technology and design for cultural and artistic production, recognizing areas of opportunity for the development of new practices, methods or media.
  • Education: Provides skills to understand information technology and design for the production of multimedia materials for use in educational contexts and the use of advanced means of communication for the promotion of learning communities.
  • Interactive Music and Sound Design: Provides skills to develop advanced work in the area of interactive musical systems, including design, creation, and operation of these systems in various application contexts, including (but not limited to) games, interactive installations and other applications. Develops the ability to develop advanced work in the area of sound design for film or other audio-visual solutions, as well as digital games.
  • Technologies: Provides skills to design and implement systems and multimedia applications and to innovate in the design of new products, processes and services based on emerging technologies.

How are the semesters organized?
  • The first and second semesters have five courses each, some are common to all specializations, some are specialization specific, and some are elective.
  • In the third semester, there are two elective courses, in parallel with the dissertation (which is annual, spanning the third and the fourth semester)
  • The fourth semester is fully devoted to the dissertation, which has to be submitted during June and defended in July.
  • For details on the individual courses per specialization, visit the specializations pages.

How are the specializations organized?

What is the weekly schedule? Are the classes during work hours or post-work hours?
  • Total of five classes (courses) per week in the first and second semester, two classes in the third semester
  • Each class three hours long
  • Classes are distributed through Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, in slots starting at 10:00, 14:00 and 17:00 (distribution depends on selected specialization and electives)

Can I see some examples of theses/dissertations?
  • Concluded thesis can be seen  here(some recent ones may be unavailable yet).

Application information

Who can apply?
  • Holders of Degree or equivalent (national or foreign), or holders of academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the scientific committee as attesting the capacity to attend this program.

How can I apply?
  • General information regarding applications for 2nd Cycles can be found here.
  • When the application process opens, full information can be seen here, including the link for the application submission. You can also check below the documentation needed.

What is the documentation needed for applying?
  • ID document (ID Card / Citizen Card / Passport) (mandatory);
  • Graduation Certificate from a higher education programme (mandatory);
    • In the 2nd phase and subsequent phases of applications, if you have already graduated but are unable to produce the Graduation Certificate, then you must submit a written statement indicating the graduation date and the final grade you are expected to achieve.
    • You are still be required to provide the Graduation Certificate before enrollment;
    • For qualifications obtained abroad see note (1);
  • Certificate listing all the Higher Education courses completed, their duration (semester/year) and number of credit units/ECTS (required);
    • If you cannot obtain a certificate containing this information, you should add a list of courses completed, providing the information requested (mandatory);
    • You are still be required to provide the Certificate before enrollment;
    • UP students are only required to scan and attach the “Percurso Académico” information;
    • For qualifications obtained abroad see note (1);
  • Curriculum vitae (mandatory);
  • Recommendation Letters (optional);
  • Photo (optional) (“passport style” in color, preferably with a neutral background, 200 pixels tall by 140 pixels wide, JPG format, average quality or higher);
  • Dissertation/research topic proposal (mandatory).
    • The student should propose one or more research topics to develop as her/his dissertation.
    • It should be presented succinctly  (max. 5 pages) including the motivation, a set of goals and a brief description of how the student intends to develop it and which are the major skills already acquired and to be developed during the master programme.
    • Make sure you check the additional information about the project proposal
  • Motivation Letter (mandatory)
    • PDF, maximum one page, indication why you are interested in the course, and what are your expectations.
  • Portfolio (mandatory)
    • Portfolio of projects and works developed in academic, personal and professional settings, related to the area
  • Additional documentation
    • The application web page (available here) should be checked for any additional documentation required.
  • (1) Notes for Applicants from foreign higher education:
    • For qualifications obtained abroad you will be required to produce an original document in either Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, duly signed and certified by the respective institution’s highest academic body.
    • If the document is not in one of the above mentioned languages then it must be authenticated by the official education authorities of the respective country and recognized by the Portuguese consular or diplomatic authorities.
    • Alternatively, it must hold the Apostille of the Hague Convention. The same should happen with regard to translations of documents whose original language is not Portuguese, Spanish, French or English.

How much is the tuition fee?
  • The tuition fee may vary on a yearly basis, regardless of the value . For the current year you can find info here.

Who should I contact for more information?
  • Take a look at the contacts page. The secretariat is usually the best place to start for general questions.